Before using the application, Eloqua Admins will need to create the contact fields the FreshAddress application will use to write data into.
- Log into your Eloqua account
- Click the Settings gear on the top right of the page
- Click 'Fields and Views' under the Database Setup section
- On the next page, click the plus sign on the bottom left and then click 'Add Contact Field'
- This will pull up edit screen for your new Contact Field. Input 'FreshAddress - Finding' in the 'Display name' field. The fields should look as follows:
- Click the 'Save' button on the bottom right
- Follow directions 4-6 seven more times and use the following 'Display names' for each new contact field:
FreshAddress - Comment
FreshAddress - Comment Code
FreshAddress - Suggested Email
FreshAddress - Suggested Comment
FreshAddress - Error
FreshAddress - Error Response
FreshAddress - Legacy Comment
- You are now ready to use the FreshAddress application
Using the FreshAddress Application in a Campaign:
First begin by logging into Eloqua.
- Click the 'Create a Multi-Step Campaign' button on Eloqua's main homepage
- Open up a Blank Campaign
- Click the arrow next to 'Campaign Steps' on the top left of the page. This will collapse all campaign steps in the menu
- Drag and drop a Segment Member step onto the campaign canvas
- Choose the segment of contacts you would like to validate emails for
- Drag and drop the FreshAddress Email Validation application onto the campaign canvas
- Drag and drop a 'Wait' step onto the campaign canvas below the FreshAddress application. Specify a wait time.
- Connect all three steps together, like so:
- Double click the FreshAddress step, and then click the 'edit' pencil icon:
- This will open up a configuration screen for the FreshAddress application. Title the campaign in the 'Description' field, then choose your Eloqua Credentials in the next drop-down menu. Next, map each FreshAddress field to the correct contact field you created in the drop-down menus (this is simply pulling a list of your contact fields). NOTE: Having the 'Overwrite original Email Address' option checked will have the application overwrite the invalid email address with the Suggested Email Address FreshAddress provides
- Once you have filled out the configuration, click 'Submit'. You will then see a green Success message. Click out of the configuration screen
- You are now able to drop contacts into the campaign and have them run through the FreshAddress application. As they go through the step, the application will process the email address and write the responses from FreshAddress to each contact field you created
NOTE: under high volumes, users may see delays in processing your FreshAddress results. In these cases, records may appear "stuck" in the FreshAddress step with no error. If you see this behavior, contact Sureshot Support. Do not reset contacts in this step or reinstall the app, as this may result in records being processed multiple times.
Please find the possible validation responses in the attachment below.
Contacts appear to be stuck in FreshAddress step
External services such as FreshAddress impose rate limiting to limit the number of transactions that can be sent to them at once. This helps ensure that the system cannot be overwhelmed by an influx of activity, causing system degradation. If you notice contacts sitting in the FreshAddress step for a long period of time and are unsure if you need to take action, please contact Sureshot Support. Do not re-queue records or delete/re-install the app to reprocess records as this may result in duplicated transactions.